Is Your Home Making You Ill? – 5 Ways To Keep Your Property Healthy
Results from an Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) home study this week have indicated that many homes in the UK contain poor air quality, subsequently putting the health of homeowners at risk.
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in the air were analysed and, out of the 122 homes that were tested, 91% had above the recommended amount.
The key factors of poor air quality in homes are mould, condensation and damp.
It is well known that many homeowners suffer from allergic reactions to mould, which is far more prevalent in the winter than in any other season.
There are a number of other sources of harmful allergens throughout the home including fireplaces, air fresheners, furniture, cleaning products, paint and candles.
If you are regularly using any of these at home, you might want to follow our five helpful tips that contribute to a much healthier home:
– Carry out a quick assessment of all the parts of your home that you rely on for ventilation as this is where your clean air will come from. If you haven’t got enough of them, it might be a good idea to introduce them throughout the household, especially in the bathroom and kitchen where mould is most likely to develop during the winter.
– Changing your flooring to wood can be quite challenging but it certainly helps if you’re looking to get rid of the dust, dirt, allergens, dander and bacteria that are often harboured by carpets and rugs.
– Try and introduce a “shoes off” rule in your home as shoes can often carry pollen, dirt and other allergens into the household from outdoors.
– If you’re regularly using chemical products for upholstery cleaning, rug cleaning and other necessary cleaning tasks, switch to eco friendly cleaning products from now on as chemicals can cause respiratory problems in the long term.
– Washing your clothes indoors might be necessary at times but it’s capable of elevating the VOC levels of your home, so try your best to dry all your clothes outside instead.
We offer a deep cleaning service here at Apple Clean that’s more than capable of ridding your property of any lingering dust, dirt and allergens.
We use state-of-the-art cleaning equipment to leave any domestic or commercial environment in the best possible condition, so get in touch with us today to organise a specialist carpet, upholstery or curtain cleaning service in Kent or anywhere in the South East.